Pastors can be stubborn – I know I am! Yet most of us still recognize the need for growing and improving their ministries. At the Nebraska Synod‘s First Call Theological Education, Bishop deFreese asked us, “What resources do you need?” Here are five answers we gave, and some easy first steps to boost your ministry:
- Support for the ups and downs of ministry. Go and buy The Pastor: A Memoir, by Eugene Peterson.
- Learn how to play again. Go hang out with your pre-school kids during Sunday School.
- Prayer. Send an email to five friends who might agree to support you with daily prayer. (Bonus tip: your cluster could be part of this!)
- Coaching / Mentoring / Accountibility. Think of three people who could help you, and then actually call them.
- Text Study. If you’re too physically isolated for a regular Lutheran text study, start an ecumenical text study.
What else do you need right now for your ministry? Or, if you’re not a pastor, what do you need for your ministry in daily life?